I loved the way my Mom cooked. As a very young girl, I would tell her she was the “bestest cooker!” The title stuck through the years and continued to make its way to her ears into my adulthood. Mom always took great delight in loving on people through her food
Our Heavenly Father is no different than my Earthly mother in this regard. He, too, takes great delight in loving His people through His food — the Word of God. He has “cooked up” a buffet of wisdom, encouragement, and direction throughout the Bible. Tickle your taste buds with these samples from His table. They’ll need no further seasoning from my keyboard.
- Psalm 18:25-26 The good people taste your goodness; The true people taste your truth.
- Psalm 34:8 Open your mouth and taste; open your eyes and see–how good God is.
- Proverbs 8:7 My mouth chews and savors and relishes truth — I can’t stand the taste of evil.
- Proverbs 16:24 Gracious speech is like clover honey– good taste to the soul, quick energy for the body.
- Matthew 5:13 Let me tell you why you are here. You’re here to be salt–seasoning that brings out the God-flavored of this Earth. If you lose your saltiness, how will people taste Godliness?
- Ephesians 5:5 Though some tongues just love the taste of gossip, those who follow Jesus have better uses for language than that.
- Psalm 63:1 God–you’re my God! I can’t get enough of you! I worked up such hunger and thirst for God…so here I am in the place worship, eyes open, drinking in your strength and glory.
(Scripture from The Message translation.)
Here’s one of my favorite recipes from Mom’s collection during my teen years.
> 16 oz uncooked noodles
> 1/2 c chopped onion
> 2 TB butter
> 3 cans cream of mushroom (10.5 oz cans)
> 1 4 oz can pimento (optional)
> 2 TB chopped pickled green peppers
> 3-4 cups cooked chicken
> 2-3 cups shredded, sharp cheddar
> Salt/pepper to tast
Heat oven to 350. Cook noodles as directed. Drain. In large skillet, cook and stir onion until tender; stir in soup, pimento, and chili peppers.
In greased 4 qt casserole, layer half the noodles and half the chicken; season. Top with half the soup mixture and half the cheese. Repeat layers.
Bake uncovered 45 minutes